Sunday 9 March 2008

FedEx or Aramex?

Which do you prefer best FedEx or Aramex for shipping and transporting products and/or services to you? I never used FedEx in my life but I have always used Aramex when I buy stuff from the internet. My friends always talk about using FedEx rather than using any other service. But this isn’t the topic that I want to discuss.

For the websites I feel that Aramex has a well-organized and easy to move around website. But for FedEx the website is a bit busy and there are a lot of information and data in it. Both of these website’s main core is “the service”. They tend to ship products as soon as possible to you as a “customer”. I’ve seen so many creative advertisements for FedEx, however I’ve never seen an advertisement that I recall from Aramex.

Plus, have you ever heard of product placement? Well according to Wikipedia, “product placement advertisements are promotional ads placed by marketers using real commercial products and services in media, where the presence of a particular brand is the result of an economic exchange.” Well, what im trying to say here is that I’ve also seen Fedex packages in blockbuster movies. Such movies are Castaway, I Robot, and Runaway Bride. Which I think is a very succseful and creative idea. So its not just a shipping company its more than that its moving towards hollywood’s star casting rooms. You can see in each of those movies I mentiond above that Fedex tries to reveal its advatages through Hollywood.

In the movie Castaway the actor, “Tom Hanks plays FedEx Express employee Chuck Noland, the lone survivor when a FedEx plane crashes onto a deserted South Pacific island. Noland is so dedicated to his customers; he can't bear to open the FedEx packages that wash ashore. He manages to take care of one package without opening it for the whole time he's stranded on the island. Unfortunately, he's unable to deliver it on time” (Fedex.com). From that scene you can conclude that FedEx employees and staff members are loyal and secure when it comes to delivering packages. Although in the movie Noland doesn’t deliver the package on time since he’s stuck on a deserted island the advantage outweighs this drawback. Moreover, in the other movies they show how they deliver packages on time, cautiously, and professionally.

To conclude with FedEx or Aramex, both have great qualities when delivering products to their customers. But what I am trying to say is that FedEx are more developed than Aramex and they tend to show their good qualities not only in ads but also in movies and in the creativity aspect.

If you want to see how they go creative, this is a link to a funny FedEx ad in the style of the movie Cast Away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSQpinagp0&mode=related&search=

There is more from where that came from!

1 comment:

Alaa Halasa said...

you may be right, but building a brand without advertising is more challenging. Most successful companies through the history did not use marketing, they used the word of mouth marketing. Google did not do any marketing campaign. I see this as a success to aramex and good strategy for sustainability which is the mission of aramex for the coming 25 years. I am a fan of aramex as arabic success story.